Bank Islam, established in 1983, is Malaysia’s maiden Shariah-based institution. Since its inception, it has emerged as the symbol of Islamic banking in Malaysia and its vision to be “A Global Leader in Islamic Banking” illustrates the Bank’s status as the flag bearer of the country’s financial services industry
BACKGROUND OF ENGAGEMENT
Bank Islam was seeking to upgrade its SAP version from 4.6C to 4.7 and to improve and leverage on the re-implemented core FICO and HR modules in accordance to its business process re-engineering exercise in 2006/7. The final solution would improve the functionalities based on the latest version of SAP, as well as implementing new functions such as Business Warehouse and Employee Self-Service (ESS).
The solution encompassed the General Ledger, Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, Asset Accounting, Funds Management, Controlling, Financial Accounting & BW Reporting. In addition, the Project seeks to align the existing payroll processing back to SAP standard configuration and practices. The implementation was completed in 2 phases: Core FICO and HR Modules and Employee Self-Service roll out.
In 2009, IA was re-engaged to support the upgrade of the Bank’s Core Bank System in areas of General Ledger interfaces and enterprise financial reporting.
SCOPE & VALUE DELIVERED
Scope of work:
- Technical Upgrade from SAP R/3 4.6c to SAP R/3 4.7b
- The implementation involves SAP Financials (GL, AP, AR, CM, CO, AM), Business Warehouse, Human Resource Management (OM,PA,PY,TM, Travel Management), Enterprise Portal and ESS/MSS functionality
- Implemented the future state Finance operations model and the related Finance standard operations procedures
- Upgraded SAP version 4.6C to 4.7
- Re-implementation and functional enhancement of SAP Financials (GL, AP, AR, AA, CO, FM, HR, ESS)
- Alignment of SAP General Ledger and Financial reporting with the upgraded Core Banking system and processes
Value to the client:
- Enhanced SAP Financials functionalities from use of General Ledger to full Financial and Controlling core modules.
- Alignment of business processes and configuration to standard SAP to ease support and future upgrades.
- Provision of daily GL interfaces and GL balances for automated reconciliation and provision of financial results to the Bank’s data warehouse
- The ESS / MSS portal functionality allows employees to apply leave, update personal data and submit claims on-line. This reduces administrative workload, paperwork and empowers users to perform the HR functions. Clear workflow was established to facilitate on-line approval